The Fuel for Funding: Beginner's Grant Writing Course is designed for individuals and organizational staff new to grant writing. This live, three part workshop series is not your average grant writing workshop. Although there is a focus on grant writing techniques and guidelines, this workshop ties in program design concepts. Understanding program design will provide you with the tools to properly convey your plan to a granting agency. This can significantly improve your chance of being funded.
This six hour course (with additional hours of coursework) will discuss:
- grant readiness (actions and items you need under your belt)
- types of funding
- written communication tips
- the basics of program design
- collecting information and data
- grant do's and don'ts
- lot's more...(seriously)
Participants will be provided:
- handouts, worksheets, examples and other practical activities.
- basic grant-related information to reinforce the concepts learned.
- a grant terminology handout; written in plain language, with examples.
- an example of sections of real grant proposals to critique and learn from
- free access to the exclusive Facebook page where you can continue to ask questions and get input from others
- a certificate of completion
- free access to our Grant Readiness course with a grant readiness assessment
This module contains the following lessons:
- Learning Objectives
- Grant Readiness_Capacity: If you are a beginner, watch this first!
- Grant Readiness_Capacity: Are you ready for a grant?
- Once You Are Grant Ready...
- What Is a Grant?
- Technical Writing
- Characteristics of a Grant Writer
- Keep in Mind...Some Encouragement
- Types of Funding
- Grant Writing Toolkit
- Finding Grants
- Tips for Googling for Grants
- Read It All_Follow Instructions
- A Grant's Voice
- Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Submitting Your Completed Grant Proposal
- Grant Evaluation Criteria
- After Submission_Notice of Award
- Understanding Grant Scoring and Review
- Your Proposal: 5Ws
- Program Focus
- Program Design Components for Beginners
- Program Design Worksheet Instructions
Ronessa Strickland-Roberts, Med. Asst. MPH, CHES, CAHI and President/Owner of Volcano Consulting, LLC is the developer of the Fuel for Funding: Beginner's Grant Writing Course. She has nearly 10 years management experience, 20 years of public health experience and nearly 10 years of clinical experience. Ronessa is a Medical Assistant and a Certified Allied Health Instructor. Ronessa has either worked as direct service grant staff or provided grants management nearly all of her adult career. This gives her multi leveled insight in grant writing as she is able to see all components from various perspectives because she has "worked her way up the ladder." Ronessa has worked diligently at diversifying her skill set. Her work ethic is impeccable and she strives to be the best at every task set before her. She is her greatest critic. These are also valuable skills for the grants she writes and is only complimented by her natural aptitude for effective communications and writing. Ronessa is an avid reader and information seeker. Additionally, because of her wide array of interests and experiences, she is well read on numerous topics and industries.
Among her areas of expertise is:
- Health and Human Services
- Program and Project
- Community Health
- Grant Writing and Editing
- Grant readiness
- Evidence-based programs
- Behavioral Health
- HIV/AIDS education
- Sexual and reproductive health
- General Chronic and Infection Disease Health Education
- Minority health
- Adolescent health and pregnancy prevention
- Positive Youth Development (PYD)
- Trauma-Informed Program Design
Get started now!
StartLearning Objectives (0:34)
StartGrant Readiness Mini Course (0:21)
StartOnce you are ready (2:58)
PreviewWhat is a grant? (1:11)
StartTechnical Writing... (0:30)
StartCharacteristics of a grant writer (2:40)
StartKeep in Mind... (1:47)
StartTypes of Funding (2:03)
StartGrant Writer's Toolkit (0:57)
StartFinding Grants (1:38)
StartGoogling for Grants (14:59)
StartREAD IT ALL! (4:27)
StartThe Voice of a Grant (1:21)
StartAbbreviations and Acronyms (1:21)
StartTips for submitting a grant (5:36)
StartGrant Evaluation Criteria (1:39)
StartNotice of Award (2:20)
StartGrant Scoring (0:48)
StartYour Proposal (0:31)
PreviewProgram Tidbits: Your Program Focus (0:56)
StartProgram Design: An Example (1:31)
StartWhat Are the Details of Your Program Design? (1:15)